Getting older is never easy and fun. For many gay men the idea of turning 40 is nothing short of terrifying. Well I am getting there very soon and I don’t feel like almost 40. My body changes a bit, priorities change and your mind and interests change too. I am a lucky “boy” who has very good genes, which makes me still looks younger. (Or so I am told and not for just getting me in the sack LOL) I don’t fear the big “4”, but I would have loved to stay 29 forever. The candles on my birthday cake keep saying that anyway ;o).
There is a 40 things list that at least every gay guy should have done before reaching the age 40 years old. I though “hmm why not check that list and see how well I did? What have I done with my life? What have I accomplished?” Remember I came out when I was 25, but still after checking and crossing of on the list, I can say “Ooops I did a lot haha”!!! And for the things I didn’t do, I still have one0 day left LOL. Be surprised what’s on the list and check it yourself. Your life experience checklist will continue to grow as we get older off course. And remember don’t take yourself like this list to serious…
Here are the 40 things every gay man should do before turning 40:
3. Dress up in drag.
5. Accept that you will never have sex with Jake Gyllenhaal.
7. March in solidarity with your gay brothers and sisters at a protest rally.
8. Go to an LGBT Film Festival.
10. Go to your class reunion and finally talk to the straight guy you were obsessed with in High School.
11. Donate to The Human Rights Campaign, The Trevor Project, De Holebifoon or other gay advocacy organization.
12. Read a Gay book like “And the Band Played On”, “Tales of the City”, or “A Single Man”.
13. Stop wearing t-shirts that are two sizes too small.
15. Date someone that is at least 10 years older than you.
16. Know your International Queens! RuPaul, , Divine, Lady Bunny, Dame Edna and Jackie Beat.
18. Live with a boyfriend.
20. Go to a Broadway musical.
21. Go to a professional Soccer, Basketball or Baseball game. (Yes, really!)
24. Volunteer at an LBGT Senior Center.
26. Be in a monogamous relationship.
29. Stay friends with a former lover.
30. Break out the cheesecake and watch every episode of The Golden Girls.
32. Have sex with someone who doesn’t speak English. (All the better if you can combine this with number 31.)
34. Go to an adult bookstore or movie theater. (We recommend wearing close-toed shoes.)
36. Take your boyfriend home for the family Christmas.
38. Take a same-sex Latin, Swing or Ballroom dance class.
39. Sing a song at karaoke of Cher, Stevie Nicks or Liza Minnelli.